The Irish Transmission System Operator, EirGrid, set an ambitious programme to upgrade the Irish Transmission grid by 2030. The programme will facilitate over 50% of electricity consumption from renewable sources, primarily wind and solar. Whilst providing energy security, the upgrade meets EU climate change targets now and in the future.
- The Challenge
A need for extensive upgrading of the existing 220 kV and 110 kV transmission network and the construction of new lines, including a 400 kV line.
- The Solution
To complete uprating 2,300 kilometres of existing 110 kV and 220 kV lines over the project lifecycle, executed through planning, feasibility studies as well as design and specification.
What we delivered
Conductor Replacement and line refurbishment of 110 kV lines with 430 mm² Aluminium Conductor Steel Reinforced (“Bison”) and Optical Phase Conductor (OPC) fibre-optic equivalent conductors.
Reconductoring of 110 kV and 220 kV lines with Gap-type High-Temperature Low-Sag (HTLS) conductor to replace existing Aluminium Conductor Steel Reinforced (ACSR) conductors.
- 60% of total planned uprates completed in first 10 years
- 500 kilometres of 220 kV HTLS uprates on 10 lines
- 300 kilometres of 110 kV HTLS uprates on 20 lines
- Over 500 kilometres of 110 kV ACSR uprates on over 20 lines
ESB International is supplying all engineering consultancy and design services for the uprating of existing 110 kV and 220 kV circuits, including:
- Feasibility studies and Route selection
- Existing line condition assessment
- Lidar and ground survey
- Thermal rating assessments
- All design requirements – schedules / profiles / materials / mapping
- Materials contract specification and tender evaluation
- Material supplier management including material type and sample testing
- Sag charts and installation procedures
- Line commissioning
- As-builts and safety file production
What we do
We offer a comprehensive range of solutions for both public and private clients, right through the life cycle of their projects and the energy value chain.